Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving, and Giving Thanks

Every year, since 2010, Thanksgiving marks an anniversary. Tuesday night of that week, I felt a sharp pain that would not subside. That night it snowed. When there's the rare snow in Seattle, you can't drive anywhere - there are no snow plows and we're all hills here. Wednesday, I finally said to Dorothy "we have to try to get to the hospital, I can't stand the pain any longer." Her all wheel drive Subaru got us there. Very few staff members were at the hospital - seriously, when it snows here, everything stops. But there was an ultrasound technician, and a Doctor's assistant. I was told I had cancer. But no one could tell me stage, prognosis, etc. I left with pain pills.

Thanksgiving day was a house full of guests and we had to do a ton of cooking. I grinned and bared it to get through the day, telling guests I had strained my back lifting the cooler holding the brining turkey.

I wasn't able to see a Doctor until Monday, when I learned all about what I had, got scheduled for surgery that Friday, scheduled for chemo starting in January, etc., etc.

So, each Thanksgiving, I give a special thanks to all the professionals who helped me through my treatment, and that I've been clear of cancer ever since.

This year was a much smaller affair. Three guests makes five for dinner. And our guests, being cooks in their own right, want to share the fun of preparation, so we were up for only the turkey, mashed and sweet potatoes, stuffing and gravy. An easy year.

We picked up our 17 pound heritage bird from Stokesberry at the farmer's market in Ballard on Sunday. A fresh bird, never frozen. The turkey went into the apple juice brine on Monday evening, and then into the refrigerator downstairs to soak until the big day.

We prepped the stuffing and the sweet potatoes Wednesday night - we have one small oven and the bird would occupy it all day.

First up the stuffing:

Peel the chestnuts. This year, we used the microwave and kept the nuts wet. Worked like a charm. So much better than Martha Stewart's hot oven process with hotty burny fingers. First slice an X through a spot on the shell, let the nuts soak briefly in water, then into the microwave on high for about a minute. Keep them wet when you take them out, and peel away. Most will peel easily, but there are always a few stinkers that'll give you grief.
Slice then toast the bread.
Get the herbs prepped - we used thyme, sage, parsley.
We added cubed apple, and sautéed onion and celery. Start mixing.
Add the bread, cubed, and sautéed sausage (sweet Italian), chicken stock, and mixey mix. Taste for seasoning, then pour into the baking dish and bake.
Next up, Dorothy's favorite sweet potato dish:

She makes a gratin of sliced sweet potatoes and leeks, adds seasoning and thyme, pours over melted butter, then bake covered with foil. Simple, delicious.

Note to self: it's a good idea to peel the sweet potato before slicing...



On the big day, I roast the bird at 350°F until the thigh reaches about 160°F, then let it rest covered with foil for about 30-40 minutes. That allows the juices to redistribute, and get any other items re-heated in the now empty oven. I also cover the bird with a sheet of foil while roasting (just placed on top, not tucked) to protect the breast from the broiler element in my oven - it runs too hot and burns the top of the bird. Here it is, all tightey whitey!
Nothing left to do but enjoy the weather and set the table!

The remains of the day:
It was a relatively cool day, so first fire of the season! Yea!
Tomorrow, clean up the mess. I purchased three warming trays a few years ago. We set these out, put all the food in them to keep them warm, and let everyone serve themselves. No mass of platters on the table with no room, and the constant doing what Congress doesn't do, you know, passing stuff. Easy. No, they don't get put on the table like this - they've cooled and are stacked so I can get back to the computer.
Nothing left to do but take a nap!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful David . A true labor of love... - Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I hope one day you visit PR and then I'll be able to meet you and your family. Nice blog!!!

    ReplyDelete