Friday, November 14, 2014

Revisiting an old friend, Oriental Style Grilled Marinated Flank Steak

Introduction:

From 1990 to 1994, I house sat for a family from about New Year’s until school started in the fall and they returned to town. My friends affectionately called the house “The Big House.” It had this wonderful series of decks in the backyard, a fully forested backyard, overlooking a stream. And there was a hot tub. And there was a gas grill too. I lived grandly during that time and was able to entertain.
I made this once for a friend and was really blown away by it at that time. Or, perhaps, it was I was amazed at how well it turned out and how it might impress my “friend.”

I was thinking about the recipe recently and finally set to searching for it. It’s from the July 1991 issue of Gourmet, the dear departed favorite food magazine… On page 78, the following appeared:

Q. I love a good grilled steak, especially one that’s been marinated. Do you have a recipe?
Jim McGinnis
New York, New York
A. Long on flavor and a breeze to make is robust, gingery

Materials and Methods:

Oriental Style Grilled Marinated Flank Steak

As Published:

As Made:

2 Tbs vegetable oil
Olive oil
2 Tbs Oriental sesame oil
You know, toasted sesame oil
14 cup firmly packed brown sugar
Used dark brown
13 cup soy sauce

13 cup Sherry vinegar
Rice wine vinegar, really
3 scallions, chopped
White and green parts
2-inch piece of ginger root, peeled and chopped

3 garlic cloves

1 Tbs fresh lemon juice

12 tsp hot red pepper flakes

2 lbs flank steak
Flat Iron Steak

Directions as published (roughly):

Place all the ingredients except the steak in a blender, and blend until smooth. Place marinade and steak in a zip-top bag, massage a bit, and let marinate chilled for at least 6 hours or overnight. 
Remove steak from marinade, discard marinade, and grill steak over hot coals (4-6”) for 5-6 minutes each side for medium rare. Transfer steak to cutting board, let rest 10 minutes, then slice it thin across the grain.

Changes to directions:

Since I have a flat iron steak, grilling time is different. Flank steaks are thicker and take longer. Also, I marinated the steak at room temp for 2 hours. And I used a big cast iron skillet. A hot cast iron skillet! SIZZEL!

Discussion:

Tasty. Yes, Tasty. As good as I remember? Maybe not. Maybe so. But good. Actually quite good. I think in the future I'd go not with brown sugar, white is OK. I didn't detect the molasses kick from brown. And I don't know that it's needed. And a bit more sweetness. Not much, perhaps 10%. Switching brown for white might just do it. But, the citrus balance is off. It needs more. Double it, I think.

So, here it is resting:

And now, dinner:
Served with steamed rice, a sprinkle of black sesame seeds (really, the crunch is worth it), sliced scallions, and kimchi. Of course.

Conclusion:

Yes, I'd follow this recipe again, with my modifications. For those who like heat, double the pepper flake, or more. And more garlic is OK too. Since I served it with kimchi, that wasn't an issue on the plate.

RIP:

 

1 comment: