Saturday, October 3, 2015

Oxtails and Conversation

I love when someone cooks for me. It tells me they are confident in their cooking skills. And most of the time, it's a dish I've never tried. So I learn something.

Tonight was one of those nights. Our friends Chuck and Barb played scientists on these Guinea Pigs with two recipes from the latest Saveur (issue 177). In the article "Reinventing Jamaica" were two recipes we sampled tonight: Braised Oxtail with Butter Beans, and Coconut Rice and Red Beans.

Oxtails with Butter Beans
Coconut Rice and Red Beans

I've been reading my way through this latest issue, and since I read in bed before turning off the lights, my attention is waning by the time I get to the Jamaica article. It's near the end of the issue. And, frankly, I probably wouldn't have made either recipe. Although I love a good stew, or meat braise, I don't usually make such dishes. My cooking style leans more to fresh and quick cooking ingredients. Mostly because I don't start thinking about what's for dinner until dinner time. So a braise is out. Even on the weekends when such dishes could be done - I don't think of it until 4:00 PM or later, and the roasts (gorgeous organic grass fed beef from Skagit River Ranch) are frozen, and a trip to the store for something would unnecessarily delay the cocktails... Not happening.

We greatly enjoyed the dishes our friends made, and I think I will really really try to add them to our repertoire. If not the oxtails (because I won't remember to start them so far ahead), at least the rice dish. It was delicious.

The evening reinforced that dinner is most fun when you've got company and conversation, and much wine.

A wonderful night out. Thank you Chuck and Barb.

No comments:

Post a Comment