Thursday, January 21, 2016

Bad Chablis, Great Carignane

Tomorrow I'll spend some time excavating all the whites in the cellar. After a nasty oxidized Chablis very recently, I need to find all the others and get them out where I can see them.

A friend shared a site where there is a lot of evidence of recent Chablis not aging as usual, and many recent vintages are prematurely oxidized. [Side note: This friend, I have yet to discover any topic upon which he is not just thoroughly knowledgeable, but an expert. Dang. Here's the link: http://oxidised-burgs.wikispaces.com]


Tonight, moving boxes around, I was looking for a shipment from Ridge Vineyards that I'd not even opened. The one I found first was of the 2010 Carignane from Buchignani Ranch.

2010 was an interesting year for me - that fall, not long after the harvest of this wine was complete, my doctor told me I had cancer. That led to treatments, and much more, and also meant wines from my Ridge Wine Club stacked up, unopened. And even those shipments (6 bottles each) that did get opened, only a single bottle may have been extracted. We just couldn't drink, and especially, enjoy wine. In particular, red wine. It was a bleak time that didn't really end until recently.

So, tonight, a long delayed enjoyment.

Up front, a sweet rose petal and red cherry, mouth filling red fruit (raspberry in particular), tannins just there... Delicious.

Notes from the harvest include these: "A long wet spring disrupted set at Buchignani Ranch and cut yields from the old carignane vines." "We picked all vineyard blocks on September 28." "Enjoyable now, the wine will evolve over the next four to five years." (notes written 09/2011, wine bottled 12/2011).

So, these bottles that have been sitting undisturbed since arriving in Seattle, are in prime time. And I agree. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment