Saturday, July 25, 2015

What to do for an Anniversary Dinner?

It's been two years. Yes, two. My bride and I tied the knot at the County Courthouse in front of a wonderful judge two years ago, on a Monday, July the 22nd. (Wednesday this year.) There is photographic and video evidence to show the event really happened.





But, we'd been living together for 14.5 years prior. Making 16.5 years total, now. And, has the romance dripped away? I mean, that's a long time. Not long, like I see in the obits in the paper, of couples who've been married for 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, or more years. That's crazy wonderful. But what do I do for 14.5 years plus 2?

I cook.

No pictures - it was a private affair. But, I wooed my sweetie back in the day with risotto. It was butternut squash risotto. But I did it differently from the recipes out there. Instead of having the squash be a "purée" kind of mix in with the rice, I cut the squash into rice-grain sized pieces (yes, it took time). Then I flash fried them in butter and drained them. Set them aside. I made the risotto using homemade chicken stock, and just as the rice was done, folded the fried squash into the rice along with the parmesan off the heat. What I love about this preparation is there is a little bite from the squash; it's not all mush - I don't like all mush.

For our anniversary dinner, first up, some farmer fizz. As in, grower Champagne. A blanc de blanc. I would have preferred a blanc de noir - but the choices weren't so good. Then, for dinner on our #2 anniversary, I made risotto. This time, I folded in fresh (blanched and shelled) fava beans. And teamed it with two seared scallops and a fillet mignon medallion. Dessert was raspberry sorbet (which Dorothy had made previously - and she'd added a touch of mint and lime to it - mmmmmm).

At "our age" it's so much more about the taking care of each other. And we show our affection through cooking and wowing through cooking. It's our thing. We're probably not unique in that.

Tomorrow, Saturday, is Dorothy's birthday. I'm cooking again. I will try to remember to take pictures. I will try to remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment